Monday, January 23, 2006

You Should Be Dancing... with the stars, that is




Aaaaaaah...to be Gene Kelly.

"You Should Be Dancing" (by the Bee Gee's) from Saturday Night Fever, was blaring on my radio this morning...and I couldn't help but think about all the great dance scenes in movie history. Watching John Travolta glide across that disco dance floor was nothing short of brilliant.

Oh, to be a great dancer *sigh*...to float effortlessly across a dance floor with no inhibition. Gene Kelly, Ann Miller, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, to name a few of the greats, were born with dancing shoes on.

I, on the other hand, was born just plain bare-footed. Not only was I not born with dancing shoes on, I couldn't even pay someone to custom make me a pair.

My caliber of dance moves are that of Billy Crystal's description in "our" favorite movie "When Harry Met Sally"...I dance doing the "white man's overbite". And I'm not even a man.

If you watch a small child dance...they have yet to discover their inhibition. As a little girl, my mom sent me for the obligatory dance lessons...ballet and tap. I remember loving these classes...as I was yet unaware of my two left feet.

My first recital included two "numbers". The tap production was to that swingin' Disney tune "Whistle While You Work", first made famous by seven little white men, all, no doubt, with probable overbites. (notice me above, white gloves and professional tap shoes)

The second "number" was a ballet set to an Indian theme, costumes and all. At the risk of being accused of political incorrectness...those were the days before we knew the correct terminology, "Native American". Nevertheless, I had a cute little feather in my hair, and all seemed right with the world.

Judging by the response to "Dancing with the Stars", now in it's second season...I'm not the only one who feels this way about dance. I'm sure the popularity of this show has to do with the vicarious thrill of watching people who might not otherwise have such an opportunity (just like you and me...well maybe not you, but certainly me).

But part of the problem with any of these "talent" reality shows is that those of us at home become seemingly delusional.

Now, I can sit in the comfort of my home, watching and enjoying the young talent persevering toward fame, and that's where it ends for me.

My husband, on the other hand, who has been forcibally made to watch American Idol since season 2... now thinks he actually has a chance of becoming the next American Idol.

Since the new season started up...he walks around the house in a daze, repeating over and over: You know...I could be the next American Idol...no, wait...I am the next American Idol. His eyes have been glossed over and foam has been gently pouring from his mouth for the better part of a week.

"If only they would raise the age limit a few meesly years from 28 to 55...I just know I have the "it" factor that all of America is waiting for".

You see what I mean? All this reality stuff has a 54 year old guy, who has never sung a note a day in his life...actually believing that he too, could live the dream. After all, it worked for William Hung, right?

I guess, in a way, it's the age old story of beauty versus beast. We all love to watch the beauty glide across the movie or t.v. screen. But at the same time, we root for the beast, the underdog, the everyday Joe, that represents you or me.

We watch and we fantasize...maybe I could be Gene Kelly, or John Travolta. Maybe I could be Kelly Clarkson or Fantasia.

But probably not. I'm still that little girl with the two left feet. And my poor husband?...well, I'll just keep wiping the foam from his mouth until this season of American Idol is over.

In the meantime, he can get his overbite ready for season 3 of Dancing with the Stars.

6 comments:

torontopearl said...

Okay, Randi, if Mr. Cruisin' could perform any song for his American Idol audition, which song would it be?

And if you could dance any style of dance with any partner, what dance style and which partner would it be?

Great post, by the way.

Stacey said...

I haven't seen Dancing w/the Stars, but I keep meaning to watch it. I've heard it's good.

I love dancing. I always wanted to be a ballerina!

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

"Oh, to be a great dancer *sigh*...to float effortlessly across a dance floor with no inhibition." I feel the very same way, except it isn't the inhibition, but the coordination and having a dance partner. I have always been intoxicated by the romance and debonaire of the music and dancing of the past. At five, I had a crush on my next door neighbor, and I remember I would have these dreams that the two of us would just dance so gracefully in circles,swirling around and around and around. I still melt when I watch those old movies and I see them dancing. I keep telling myself that I am going to take lessons, but without those big orchestras and an elegant setting, going ballroom dancing just isn't the same. It's all about the ambience and the romantic fantasies.

Regina said...

Oh, that's a nice picture of you! I never got to take dance lessons when I was little although I would have loved to be a ballerina! Now, all I want to do is learn how to tap dance! I think I can't dance, but I've never really been given the opportunity to try, so we'll see- I might not be as bad as I think I am!

wanderer said...

I gotta admit I like American Idol and watch it regularly. But these Dancing With The Stars and Skating With Celebrities things just make me feel too wierd. (I guess I'm just not in touch with that part of me...)

cruisin-mom said...

T.P.: don't know the answer for Mr. Cruisin, need to find out.
For me: modern jazz type number like something very Bob Fosse, with Gene Kelly of course.

Stacey: Dancing with the stars is fun...mostly the stars are not good!

S.T.: it is all about romance, isn't it...the music, the lighting, the clothes.

Regina:I say, GO FOR IT! Learn to tap!

Wanderer: I love these reality shows that have nothing to do with eating worms, or surviving, or picking a bachelor. Dancing, singing, skating...love them all.