Tuesday, March 07, 2006

We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto!

Inspired by Danny Miller's wonderful post about the Oscar's, I just had to do a little research of my own.

The song that won for best original this year was, well, ORIGINAL.

What happened to the good old days of Oscar winning songs like, Over the Rainbow, or You Light Up My Life?

Now, I know I take the risk of being politically incorrect, but this is MY Blog, and I'll cry if I want to. So, here goes.

While perusing Oscar songs of the past, I found myself becoming nostalgic for the good ol' days of beautiful and meaningful love songs.

It's hard to imagine a boy serenading his girl in the back of a Chevy with the words "you know it's hard out here for a pimp". Now, I don't know about other women, but I might think twice about making out with a guy in the back seat of his car while singing the following to me:

Wait I got a snow bunny, and a black girl too

You pay the right price and they'll both do you

Call me old fashioned, but I tend to "get my romance on" when I hear:
Some day, when I'm awfully low,
When the world is cold,
I will feel a glow just thinking of you...
And the way you look tonight.
Let's see which song people will still be singing in 30 years.

The next discovery I made while doing my Oscar research was this:

While a lot of attention has been given to Brokeback Mountain and it's groundbreaking portrayal of a gay relationship, it became imminently clear to me, that this is a subject that has long been on Hollywood's mind. Why, just take a look at some of the movie titles that have given birth to Oscar winning songs:

The Gay Divorcee
Swing Time
Papa's Delicate Condition
Lovers and Other Strangers
Shaft
An Officer and a Gentleman
Dick Tracy
The Prince of Egypt
The Wonder Boys

All of those associated with Brokeback Mountain would like to take credit for this new idea, but I say this is obviously a theme as old as the first Academy Awards.

I mean, really, wasn't Oklahoma just the musical version of Brokeback Mountain?

(And, as Mr. Cruisin pointed out, Brokeback Mountain is nothing more than Same Time Next Year, with a special twist).

Maybe next year they'll try and sell us yet another "brand new", "groundbreaking" concept...Jewish Cowboy's Cattle Drive...(Not That There's Anything Wrong With That)

Who's fooling who? I think we all know that's City Slickers.

I can just hear the song now...

You know it's hard out here for a Jew...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! Funny post! My personal favorite has always been "My Funny Valentine". I'm a sucker for Frank. Pretty much anything he sings has me weak in the knees.

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

I was waiting for your Oscars review.

Stacey said...

I know what you mean. I cannot believe that "pimp" song won an Oscar. I thought it was vulgar (and I am no prude).

I loved Brokeback because it was a beautiful story, not because it was "groundbreaking." It should have won Best Movie.

cruisin-mom said...

E.K.: Well, you and me and Sweettooth should get together and play music. We are all suckers for the good old fashioned stuff. There has never been, nor will there ever be a better voice than Frank!

Stacey: loved Brokeback

Wendy said...

Loved the post! Nothing is new, really, just an edit. And, unfortuately the Jew song has been done, too! South Park's It's hard to be a Jew at Christmas is really a riot!

cruisin-mom said...

headoverheel: I wouldn't have lost sleep either for the Oscars.

Wendy: Thanks!
Love that song...my kids used to play it over and over.