Thursday, February 23, 2006

Honey, does this make me look fat?


DISCLAIMER: NOT MY HUSBAND!

But that is how many women feel about their husbands.

I, on the other hand, see my husband as my Knight in "maybe-needs-a-little-polishing" armour. Not a perfect person, but, hey, like I am?

He is my best friend.

He is the man who thinks I look good with no make-up (well, okay, sometimes he says "hey Cruisin...just add a little lipstick").

He is the man who still thinks I'm funny, even after hearing the same old stuff for 23 years.

He even thinks my butt still looks good (let's hear it for declining vision).

No matter how many times I say, "let me just tell you how I feel about this", he takes a deep breath, bucks-up, and listens.

Even if I'm a raging, PMSing, crazed out of my mind, woman (who now can shoot a gun...scary, huh?)...he just looks at me and waits it out.

He can fix anything and build anything. You name it, he can do it.

He is unassuming and loves simple things (hence, his marriage to me).

He gets angry with me when I put myself down, or sell myself short.

My husband is not a believer in the "prescribed" holidays...i.e.,Valentine's day . His theory being, "no one will tell me how and when to love and celebrate the people in my life".

Now, while that may sound curmudgeony to you...here is what I know.

This man has come home to me and my children, every single night of our marriage. He has never taken a trip without us. (the poor man!).

He surprises me with tickets to concerts he knows I'm dying to see (although, he forgot Paul McCartney...oh well, no one's perfect).

When I mentioned, in passing ( about 6 months prior), that what I'd love to do for my 50th bday is go to Disneyland...just the four of us...he and my kids surprised me the morning of my 50th with a trip to Disneyland. (not to mention a surprise party the next night). He LISTENED.

He surprises me with a gourmet dinner when I've been at a professional training all day. (that's more than he gets...hey, you got a problem with turkey sandwiches?)

He is the funniest person I know. (Don't tell David Letterman I said that)

He has been my number one supporter and inspiration for this blog.

Let me explain:

I have been trying to get my computer challenged brother to read this thing for months...but he is, well, computer challenged.

So, today...my husband, who believes in my writing so much... went to the trouble of actually printing out every page of this blog, to send to my brother to read.

He did that, not because I asked him to, but because he so loves what I write and feels that my brother is missing out on knowing a different side of his baby sister.

Woah...may not seem like a lot to you...but to me...there are no flowers, or candy, or jewelry that could ever compete with that.

I am guilty of not always expressing what I feel (Mr. Cruisin's reading this and thinking, "Christ, when don't you express what you're feeling?)

I want my husband to know, that I do not take him for granted. I have known, from too early of an age, that life can change in the blink of an eye. And so, I keep my eyes wide open and take in all I can.

Afterall, how many men will sit on the couch and forcibally watch American Idol with you, while eating a gallon of icecream, and screaming: "ooooooo, Ace is sooo cute!". And let's not forget Dr. McDreamy (right, girls? are you with me?).

Just wanted you to know, Mr. Cruisin-mom...I'm still crazy about you. (okay, no jokes about the "crazy").

Most people who know you, don't know what I know.
The gifts you give are laughter and love and heart and soul. I saw those things in you, and I knew that with you, my life would be full.

I guess you are my Knight in shining armour, after all.

20 comments:

Wendy said...

This is about the nicest thing I've ever read. Wow. Mr. Cruisin, you are a fortunate man. I'm going to go appreciate my hub, now. Sniff, sniff.

Regina said...

Oh... my... gosh... that was so beautiful, cm! Many people just write things on their blogs but you feel things on yours... I mean, that was about as heartfelt a post as I have ever read. You are both blessed to have each other and I am blessed for knowing you as well!
BTW- that picture cracks me up! I meant to tell you- you have the best pictures on your blog.
Thanks for this post... I need to appreciate my husband a lot more than I do!

Anonymous said...

I have read your blog for a while, but this is my first comment. Very sweet post! You are a lucky woman!

torontopearl said...

Why the heck did you make me cry...again!?

Mr. Cruisin'...you got yourself a fine lady to cruise with through the years.

Cruisin' Mom...you got yourself a great co-navigator to go cruisin' with.

(I think our husbands were made from the same mold, btw)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got a keeper there.

cruisin-mom said...

Wendy: thanks! Glad to know someone's husband will be happy tonight!

RCJ: You have made my day...I think that is the best compliment I could possibly receive "many people just write things on their blogs but you feel things on yours". WOW.
When I began writing this blog, it was to play around with my writing skills and if someone commented, well, wouldn't that be fun. But actually moving someone's feelings..well that's a surprise I never expected.

Ezer K: Welcome! I have been on your blog as well...really enjoying it.Thanks for stopping by here.

T.P. Yaaay...I love to make you cry! And I know you have a great husband too...he's letting you come to L.A., afterall!

Zahava: wow, thanks...glad to know I can drive someone to tears all the way in Israel! That's hysterical about Billy Crystal and Carol Kane; although I prefer to see myself as Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal (When Harry Met Sally)...I think she will age better!

MIrty: Definitely a keeper. I can't get the guy to leave!

Jake said...

For my birthday, I was dropping hints that I wanted to go to Disneyland. So I woke up and there were two tickets for the White House tour on my pillow. My wife LISTENED!

cruisin-mom said...

Mia: I have no doubt that will be you and Daniel 20 years from now. Just keep laughing alot.

Jake: ROTFLMAO...you are HYSTERICAL! I even had to run and tell my husband that one. Have you ever considered comedy writing? ;)
You better be coming to L.A.!!!

cruisin-mom said...

Neil: You're right, Bud is way too good to serve in MY house. (although my husband does go around practicing the 3 frogs)
BUD...WISE...ER...(his part=Ribbit)

torontopearl said...

I thought Mr. Cruisin'-Mom would have something to add to your comments!

cruisin-mom said...

T.P.: He would, but this post left him speechless.

cruisin-mom said...

JS: Welcome, whoever you are! You should read my very first post. I, too, started with the cruisin-mom blog just to leave my 2 cents around the blogosphere. After 6 months, I decided it was time to cut my brain loose. It's more fun than I imagined...so, I hope when you're ready, you'll begin blogging too.

Wendy said...

Hey thanks for adding me to your roll!

cruisin-mom said...

Hope so JS!

You're welcome Wendy...your blog is a fun read.

Doctor Bean said...

Awww. *sniff* Beautiful.

cruisin-mom said...

Why, Doc Bean...I didn't know you were so sentimental.

Ezzie said...

I didn't want to comment originally... but my wife calls me a "computer potato". :)

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

This is really such a sweet and heartfelt post, CM.

When you wrote that you husband still loves your ass, I had to laugh, because I feel as lucky as you in knowing that after spending years with my hubby, having 2 kids and becoming 20 lbs* heavier then when we first met, that my hubby still admires my T & A as well.

It's a great feeling, isn't it?

(*ok... 20 lbs is a lot of weight to gain, but I am 5'7 and when we met thirteen yrs ago, I weighed 115) : )

cruisin-mom said...

Ezzie: I have a picture in my head of a potato wearing a yarlmulke, sitting at a computer. lol

S.T.: As always, you crack me up! And, put some more weight on, girlfriend!!!

cruisin-mom said...

H over H: Wow...another happy husband tonight...I should start charging to read this post!