Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Coming out of the Closet (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Alright, it's time I come out of the closet...I love Christmas music...can't get enough of it. A few years ago a local radio station started playing "All Christmas, all the time" from Thanksgiving on. Perfect! For some reason it takes me back to my childhood. Walking through malls gently playing the songs of the season. But, my childhood was spent celebrating Hanukah, not Christmas. We never had a tree, or lights, or Santa Claus. We never woke up Christmas morning to the anticipation of presents under the tree. I loved going to my next door neighbor's house to admire their tree, twinkling lights, and Rudolph on the roof. And yet, I never felt left out or resentful that I didn't have a tree. My parents made sure that Hanukah was special...family, latkes, presents, decorations. Whatever they did, it worked. To this day, I do not crave a tree, or lights, or Santa for that matter. For 16 years, our home has been Hanukah party central...providing the next generation with warm memories to take along with them. But when the party is over, and we're cleaning up the chairs and tables, and mopping the floor...a little Nat King Cole doesn't hurt!

2 comments:

wanderer said...

Yes I think there is that "forbidden fruit" element to it that makes Christmas music appealing to many Jews. I too never missed the tree, the lights or Santy, but the music does tug at you in a certain way. Nat King Cole does it well, but Sinatra is really king!

cruisin-mom said...

wanderer: thanks for stopping by...No one compares to Sinatra...NO ONE!