Sunday, December 09, 2007

Enchanted Memories



When I was a little girl, I went to Disneyland twice each summer.

Yep, you read that right...TWICE each and every summer.

Why, you ask? Well, my father, an elementary school teacher, needed to supplement his income. So, he and a fellow teacher, borrowed money, worked hard, and opened a well-respected summer day camp in L.A.

The camp ran two sessions each summer. And each session consisted of various field trips...Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Mattel Toys, and Helms Bakery, to name a few.

This was how I spent each summer, until I turned 10...the year my father died. The next summer, my mother would run the camp with my dad's partner, one last time.

I was reminded of all that last weekend when I went to see the latest Disney blockbuster..."Enchanted".

It is a tribute to all things Disney...and they were not afraid to make fun of themselves. (Of course, putting McDreamy in the staring role, didn't exactly hurt).

Isn't it strange how a movie can take you into the hidden corners of your mind...corners that have gone unnoticed for years.

Movies, just like music, have a way of transporting us to another time, place, or emotion that has gone unexplored for years.

Maybe that's exactly why we go to movies. To relive long lost feelings. To escape to another time and place.

As the movie Enchanted moved along, I found myself giggling like a little girl...enjoying every aspect of this movie. I felt slightly silly. Until I realized that an entire audience was enjoying it just as much as I was. I wasn't the only one finding their way back to a simpler moment in time.

Maybe it's that Disney is a constant in our lives. Always there, always dependable. Disneyland is, after all, the happiest place on earth. Disney characters find their way to the hearts of generation after generation.

Even when everything else changes or falls apart, Disney is always there.

I guess we need to be able to escape to those corners.
We need constants.
We need the things that connect us to the warm, safe places that exist in our hearts and minds.

Even if it's just for a mere 90 minutes.

A little sappy...maybe...but, hey...

Thanks Disney...

for connecting me to memories of my past, and for memories yet to come.

9 comments:

torontopearl said...

what a nice piece, CM. (sort of the type that Danny Miller would write...nostalgic and full of warmth that many can relate to)
did you ride those teacups and get really dizzy?
now i REALLY want to see "enchanted" with my 10-year-old daughter, thanks to your post.

treppenwitz said...

My fav was The Jungle Book.

When I was little I saw it at Radio CIty with my Grandma. She bought me the record (this was way before videos) and within a day I knew every song by heart.

Hearing my youngest singing along to the movie now makes me smile... but also miss my Grandma sooooo much.

cruisin-mom said...

T.P.: aren't you sweet...nice compliment...yes, definitely see it with your daughter.

Trepp: I'm glad this stirred up some memories for you.

Val said...

Great movie... for young and old. And, I can vouch for Trep -- he would play the soundtrack to Jungle Book over and over and over! ;)

cruisin-mom said...

Val: I agree, great for all ages, and that's refreshing. I remember my brother playing certain music over and over and over as well!

Jack Steiner said...

I still like Disneyland more than Disneyworld. What a fun place.

Wendy said...

Nice post. My whole family enjoyed it too.

cruisin-mom said...

Jack: have never been to Disneyworld...some day

Wendy: I had to practically twist Mr. Cruisin's arm off to go with me...and he loved it as much as I did (please don't tell anyone)

cruisin-mom said...

Jack: have never been to Disneyworld...some day

Wendy: I had to practically twist Mr. Cruisin's arm off to go with me...and he loved it as much as I did (please don't tell anyone)