Sunday, April 09, 2006

You can "quote" me on that.



Well, it's Sunday, and I had a little spare time between paying bills and cleaning up this joint (who am I kidding...I've been on this damn computer)...so I thought I'd ramble a bit about favorite movie quotes.


Below are just a few of my favorite movie quotes. Of course, I could go on all day, so I just picked a few.

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner".

C'mon, don't you love when Patrick Swayze tells Baby's father..."nobody puts Baby in a corner"?
I mean, really, the guts to stand up to the doctor who just saved his best friend's life...amazing.
Such conviction, strength and fortitude. I say the doctor deserved it, afterall, who names their kid, BABY?

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great".
This is a quote from A League of Their Own. I adore this movie. Tom Hanks was in a bit of a slump when Penny Marshall had the genius to cast Hanks in this role.

This quote just gets me everytime. It's like the ultimate life lesson wrapped up in three little lines. Hank's character is referring, of course, to playing baseball. Geena Davis' character wants to give up, stating it's just gotten too hard. This is Hank's response.

But isn't it true for all of life...for anything you choose to do? Aren't the things we struggle and work hard for more meaningful than those that just fall into our laps?

"There's no crying in baseball".
This quote has no deep meaning. But it is one of thee funniest scenes, ever, in a movie (well, at least to me). If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about...it just makes me laugh hysterically everytime.

"I'll have what she's having".
The quote from the greatest relationship movie ever. That line comes right after Meg Ryan shows us that women can, well, um, let's just say...pretend. It's the perfect surprise ending to a most unexpected scene.

"Plastics"
Just that one little word conjures up an entire movie. There are many great lines from The Graduate, but all you need is that one word. I love this movie and could watch it over and over. Anne Bancroft was genius in this role, and was just a few years older than Dustin Hoffman at the time.

"Show me the money".
Okay, so Tom has lost his mind, but Jerry Maguire is still one of my favorite movies. The scene when Cuba Gooding makes Jerry yell show me the money is hysterical every time I see it.

I could go on and on. Let's not forget the scene in China Town when Faye Dunaway reveals who her daughter is, sister is, daughter is...well you get what I mean.

"May the Force be With You"...In 1977, I thought this was the greatest line I had ever heard (hey, that was 29 years ago, give me a break).

Well, it's time to go pay bills...really...and clean up the house...really...no more quotes...

You're welcome to throw out a few of your favorites.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

"We'll always have Paris"

2 Lines from the greatest movie EVER!! I think I might need to watch that tonight. My kitchen is FINALLY done and I deserve a Bogie night!!

We always use that line from dirty dancing when one of us has had a bad day at work and comes home to complain about how poorly they were treated, the other always says "NOBODY puts Baby in a corner" and we get a good laugh!!

Regina said...

Very funny, cruisin-mom! BTW- big hugs to you!
I'm not very good at quoting quotes from movies, but hubby knows like every line to every Monty Python movie! So, I am actually quoting him quoting MP! I like-
"Your mother was a French window dresser!" or something to that effect from MP's The Holy Grail and "Blessed are the cheesemakers!" from Life of Brian.
Tee hee... cheesemakers...

Anonymous said...

Wait . . . How about

"I AM Your Father . . ." Empire Strikes Back, anyone? Anyone? Buller?

or:

"I was almost gone with the schwinn"
(Kermit in the Muppet Movie)

Too many good movies!!

Oh, wait, wait,

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse" Godfather. Well I know what I am doing over Pesach. Going through our DVD collection.

torontopearl said...

I love Steve Martin in THE JERK: "The new phone book's here, the new phone book's here."

PsychoToddler said...

"I don't need anything...I need THIS!"

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

I also love Dirty Dancing. Brings back some great memories of college (Mmmm, Paul R. - whatever happen to you?)

Two of my hubby's favorite lines are - "I want my $2!"
from the movie Better Off Dead.

and "My Name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!" (The Princess Bride)

We also love "Have fun storming the castle!" (also The Princess Bride)

and from When Harry Met Sally - "You realize of course we can never be friends...men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way."

"Sally: .... and I'm going to be forty.
Harry: When?
Sally: Someday."

"Harry: Please, Jess, Marie, do me a favour for your own good, put your name in your books right now, before they get mixed up and you don't know who's is who's. Because one day, believe it or not, you'll go fifteen rounds over
who's going to get this coffee table. This stupid, wagon wheel, Roy Rogers garage sale coffee table! .....

Marie: I want you to know, that I will never, want that wagon wheel coffee table."


Boy there are so many great lines in that movie! I can go on and on and on! : )

StepIma said...

"This one goes to 11." (from Spinal Tap)

"- Surely you can't be serious.
- I am serious. And don't call me Shirley." (from Airplane)(actually, pretty much all of Airplane)

"Earthquakes, volcanoes, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria" (Ghostbusters) (For some reason I quote this all the time. Especially during this presidential administration. Go figure. I also like the line "The next time someone asks if you're a god, say yes" (Ghostbusters)


And I agree with rcj - pretty much all of MP's Holy Grail... though the line I'm always actually quoting (G-d knows why) is "Supreme executive power is derived by a mandate from the masses" followed by, "help! I'm being repressed!" ;)

Wendy said...

I love all the ones you put out there! And such great movies :)

My favorite quote:

"220, 221 - whatever it takes." From Mr. Mom. (regarding voltage)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085970/quotes

cruisin-mom said...

To everyone: wow! you guys are reminding me about movies I haven't seen in years. But the amazing thing is, we all have quotes we never forget, or use in our daily lives...so here's the question?

Why is that? Why do we quote movies, remembering lines from years ago, but can't remember what we ate yesterday? I'd really love some thoughts on that.
Anyone, anyone?

Anonymous said...

God knows what I ate yesterday wasn't nearly as funny as "But this one goes to 11" (thanks StepIma for reminding me of a movie I haven't seen in ages! Must rent!). I think that is why we remember. Because it is not the day to day stuff. Also have to watch WHMS again - we actually own it, but it is hilarious each time. we love the part where Harry spits the grape seeds into Sally's window at the beginning of the movie!

Wendy said...

I think we find connections with movies - there is something that our lives need or that we can relate to. Or that we can't imagine. In our little worlds the same things might seem small or we might not be able to comprehend the largeness of it all, but on the screen, it's huge and memorable. So we remember it and connect it to our lives. My opinion. (I don't even know if that made sense!)

cruisin-mom said...

E.K. and Wendy: I agree with what both of you said, and Wendy, you made sense! I also think it becomes a short-hand in a sense...we can throw out a line, and someone knows immediately what we are referring to...and thus you connect.
So, maybe that's why we quote movie lines....they are relationship connectors (hey, i like that term!)
Stepima: I almost threw in the line "and don't call me Shirley" into this post...an all time classic movie.
WHMS is truly the best movie...I can watch it over and over. I love every single thing about that movie from start to finish...
Another movie that has some memorable dialogue is Terms of Endearment. For anyone who has loved someone who is in pain, the scene when Shirley MacClaine is begging them to give her daughter the pain killer is so palpable and brilliant.

Pragmatician said...

Great selection.
There are so many quotes that strike me in movies, I just can't recall them until I hear them again, I just know that all the best lines I’ve ever heard are bundled in the first three season of The Nanny.

cruisin-mom said...

Pragmatician: Welcome! The Nanny? You mean the tv show? LOL!

Doctor Bean said...

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." -- Blade Runner

cruisin-mom said...

Doc: of course, a sci-fi flick!!!

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

CM - meant to ask...have you seen AFI's list of movie quotes?

cruisin-mom said...

S.T.: Of course!!!!

Pragmatician said...

yes, the one starring Fran Dresher, I can watch the epsiodes over and ober again and never get tired of it.

cruisin-mom said...

Prag: I never watched that show regularly, but she was very funny...loved her mother and grandmother too.

cruisin-mom said...

Hi J! Never too late...thanks for your comment...will forever love that line "don't call me Shirley" from Airplane.