Sunday, February 05, 2006

My very own "Tonight Show"

Here's what I love about living in L.A.

My husband and I, unlike the normal masses of America sitting down to watch the Superbowl this afternoon, decided to go out for a Sunday drive.

It's 81 degrees here today, slight breeze, wispy clouds throughout the sky, sun shining. You couldn't order a prettier day.

As we were driving down Ventura Blvd. through Encino into Sherman Oaks, we happened upon a crazy little open-air "steamer" car, blowing lot's of stinky steam out the back as it toddled along Ventura Blvd.

From the back, we could see the man's tossled gray hair and his outfit consisting of blue jeans and a work shirt.

My husband turns to me and very confidently says, "That's Jay Leno, you know!"

Well, being the dutiful, submissive, always agreeing wife that I am...I of course, gently state back, "The hell it is. How would you know that anyway?"

My husband lovingly says back to me, "I know he has that car, because I read". (As if to say to me, "something you might like to try").

However, I continue to press on..."Yeah, but how do you really know that's Jay Leno? It can't be Jay Leno. Why on earth would Jay Leno be driving down Ventura Blvd. on Superbowl Sunday, all by himself, where everyone will recognize him? Why wouldn't he with his wife on his day off?"

It just didn't make sense.

So, I told my husband to drive up along side him, so we could get a look at who was really driving this stinky little car.

Sure enough, it was Jay Leno. Sweatin', and crankin' and working like a dog to drive that stinky little car. This man makes millions. Where was his limo? More importantly, where was his wife?

Well, now I was on a mission. I was going to get Jay to say hello to me.
And why not? If he was out there, all alone, in full view...then I figured he was fair game.

He was going so slowly down the street, that we couldn't help but get way ahead of him as we were making our way down Ventura Blvd.

So we decided to pull over (and of course get a Starbucks) and wait for him to drive by. While I stood on the street waiting for Jay Leno, my husband waited inside Starbucks, clandestinely plotting to clear the place out by yelling "There goes Jay Leno", and thereby moving to the head of the line. But he managed to contain himself.

I, on the other hand, could not (contain myself, that is)...I stood on the sidewalk...patiently waiting for Jay to make his way down the street. It took a few minutes, but there he was!!! I gave Jay a great big sexy smile (okay, it was a stupid, goofy smile, but, hey, this is my story to tell any way I please, isn't it?).

Lo and behold, I caught his eye (must have been the sexy smile)...and he smiled back and flashed me (no, don't go there) a peace sign.

So, just remember...While the rest of you were gorging yourselves on hot dogs, chips, and beer, I was having a brush with fame.

And, I know just what Jay was thinking. "What's that gal with the incredibly sexy smile doin' all alone on a Sunday afternoon?"

Translation: Geez, how desperate can that broad be, standing on Ventura Blvd. all alone on a Sunday afternoon, with nothing better to do than wave down a huge celebrity like me.

14 comments:

torontopearl said...

Randi, how DO YOU top yourself with these celeb stories?
I thought Jay was a collector of motorcycles--why the stinky little car? Oh ya, I guess he needed a vehicle that would simple toddle along and get oglers...like YOU! A motorcycle is too fast to get heads turnin' and noticin' him.
I'm gonna start moving in your circles...and Danny Miller's; much more excitement happening there than in "Hollywood North."

Jack Steiner said...

He probably was comparing the hotdogs at The Stand to the Wiener Factory.

I used to see John Goodman driving down Ventura in a little red Miata.

Can't count the number of times I ran into Kristie Alley and Tom Petty at the Savon on Ventura and Louise.

All they did was slow down the cashiers and make it impossible to check out.

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

CM: How very cool. That must have been very exciting for you.

When I lived in SF, I used to work at a very expensive Steak house, that would often have celebrities come in. We would always try to act very cool about it, but inside we would be jumping all around.

Jack, you are right about how their presence sometimes annoyingly slows down service. When Clinton was running for office the first time, he was standing outside a Hotel on Nob Hill. I was running really late for my evening job and I was on a trolley that happen to stop where Clinton was standing, shaking people's hands. We sat there for a long time while everyone climbed over each other and took photos of him. One lady was so very excited and screamed..."Wow, I just touch the hand of a man who may be our future President". I just glared at her, because I was so annoyed that we weren't moving and all I wanted was to get home. Looking back, I could have kicked myself for not also being more enthusiastic and taking advantage of the opportunity.

Regina said...

Very neat, crusin-mom! We saw Bono when we were in Dublin just walking down the street... that was cool. You know who I'd really like to meet, crusin-mom! Well, we are going to Vegas for our anniversary this year- who knows! I think celebs just want to be normal people, too, sometimes. Oh, and we saw Joe Namath in our supermarket here in town- maybe we will see Tiger Woods someday there as well- he's moving in just down the road!

cruisin-mom said...

Pearl: It's weird how I'm always running into celebrities...can't explain it.

Neil: Oh my God, you're right. I should've thought of that...I was too busy figuring out my sexiest smile.

Jack: LOVE the Weiner Factory! (I just have this feeling you and I have "dined" sitting next to eachother, somewhere, without even knowing it!)

S.T.: Whatever people think of Clinton politically, he still is very charasmatic (Just ask Monica Lewinsky)

RCJ: Joe Namath! that's cool!

wanderer said...

Its amazing, my wife goes out and guaranteed sees like a celebrity a week. Her best sighting - Monica Lewinsky buying food at Whole Foods! Me, I go to the same places and never see anyone. She points them out to me and half the time I don't even know who they are...

PsychoToddler said...

I once saw the guy who plays Ralph Malph crossing the street in Manhattan.

True story.

Jack Steiner said...

Randi,

You should be so lucky. ;)

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

CM: Have you seen other celebrities?

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

Oops...I also meant to add, have you ever gone down to watch them arrive at the Oscars? I know that is such a tourist thing to do, but hey, you did say you love these awards shows!

cruisin-mom said...

Wanderer: funny, I just mentioned Monica Lewinsky! Glad to hear she's eating healthy!!! lol

P.T.: you are hysterical! Yeah, I bet Ralph Malph couldn't get 2 feet without being bombarded for autographs.

Jack: I think it's the other way around ;)

S.T.: never been down to the Oscars...much better to sit in pajamas eating ice cream in your home while watching the Oscars.
I had lunch next to Mickey Rooney, dinner with Nancy Cartwright (voice of Bart Simpson) and we had a long conversation. A brush with Jerry Lewis when I was a little girl. I see celebrities every once in a while, though, it's definitely fun...never tire of it.

Jack Steiner said...

FWIW, I have several friends who have been to the Oscars. They say nice things about them.

Ralphie said...

I saw Jay Leno in the office building of my kids' pediatrician. Apparently he always wears jeans and a denim shirt.

PT - speaking of Happy Days sightings - Henry Winkler used to have an office in my office park. I saw him once in the food court and said to a young co-worker, "Hey did you see the Fonz?"
"Who?"
"You know, the Fonz? Henry Winkler? Happy Days?"
"Um, I think I'm too young to know what you're talking about."
At which point, my hair whitened, my back stooped, and my skin wrinkled.

cruisin-mom said...

Ralphie: welcome! Yes, Leno always wears denim when he's not working.
I saw the Fonz once up at Universal Studios theatres...damn, he looked old!
Your story reminds me of the story that goes around about who's Paul McCartney? oh he used to be in a band called Wings!