Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Other Me


I found this children's story.

It was a day I would always remember.

The beginning of fall, the end of September.

I ran home from school to lie on my bed.

Events of the day swirled through my head.


What could go wrong did so for me.

Starting with recess…a kick to the knee.

When teams were chosen, I was called last.

Stuck with the “losers”, it happened so fast.


When I answered, “Who sailed the ocean blue?”

My only reply was “1942”.

The class roared with laughter, I turned bright red.

I couldn’t wait to get home to my bed.


While wrapped in my blanket, day became twilight.

At once, something flashed, so big and so bright.

It flew past my window, I’d never suspect…

What I would see next, just wasn’t correct.


I opened the window and all I could see

Was a downright, completely new kind of me!

I thought and I pondered, “What’s happening here?”

I looked even further, but all was not clear.


I glanced to the left and then to the right.

The me over there said, “Hold my hand tight”.

“I’ve got plenty to show you, don’t be afraid”.

“Beyond this window, new dreams are made”.


I climbed through the window and there it stood.

The world’s largest slide, carved out of wood.

I sat on the slide and down we went,

While screaming out loud, “Where am I being sent?”


At the end of the slide stood a big sign,

“As you go through life, don’t merely recline”.

“ Don’t just sit back!” it went on to say.

“Life is a journey, you take each day”.


“You’re in charge of your feelings”, the other me cried.

“Just do your best and always take pride!”

We continued to walk through giant, lush trees.

The other me spoke, I listened with ease.


Was this really happening? Was she really me?

Or was it a dream, only I could see?

Time passed quickly, the next thing I knew,

It was time to go back…would she come too?


As a dazzling light flashed over my body,

I slid UP the slide, rather quite oddly.

The other me wept, and said her goodbyes,

both of us wiping the tears from our eyes.


Before I knew it, I was back on my bed,

Remembering things the other me said.

It was the day, my life changed forever.

The lessons she taught were simple but clever.


“We came through the window so you would know,

There’s always a choice of which way to go.

If you don’t believe me, just look in the mirror,

You’ll be surprised by what will appear”.


Could it be true? Do I hold the key?

The way I feel is all up to me?

All l could do, was take her advice.

I promised myself, I wouldn’t think twice.


I looked in the mirror, and what did I see?

The craziest thing…the other me!

I knew then, it was me all along.

I knew then, I could be strong.


So, if you’ve had a day where nothing seems fair.

A time filled with feelings you can’t quite bear.

Just look in the mirror…who’s looking right back?

The one you can trust to keep you on track!

14 comments:

Wishing I was a said...

How utterly profound! Thank you crusin for sharing that with us! Where on earth did you find it?

Mia said...

Wonderful!! I think this is one of these poems (can you call it poem??) that I will remember for ever in my life! Thank you for giving it to me!

kasamba said...

OOOH I loooooved this!!!!!

I'm putting it on my fridge!

Ezer K'negdo said...

Thanks for sharing that. Perfect for today ;-) Where did you find it?

the only way i know said...

Amazing!!!!!!!!
In my 30s - and i STILL need to hear I hold the key to the choices I make that help shape my life...
lol
Loved it!!!!

the only way i know said...

putting it on my fridge too
lol

Chana said...

"You’re in charge of your feelings"... indeed... sometimes that's hard to hear too...!!

torontopearl said...

I no longer like to look in the mirror. What does that say about ME?

This was a lovely piece of writing, CM. Too bad you can't claim it as a Randi original.

torontopearl said...

My mother wrote the following in my autograph book about 33 years ago -- she'd read it somewhere and it left an impression on her.

"Life is a mirror.

If you frown at it, it frowns back.

If you smile, it returns the greeting."

cruisin-mom said...

Thanks all, glad you found the story of some value.

For those of you wondering where I found it...

it was wandering around in my heart and in my head

Claire said...

Cruisin, that's great! May I borrow it to share with my class?

cruisin-mom said...

Claire: are you kidding me? OF COURSE! How old are the kids? Promise me you'll tell me their response...that's all I ask (even if it's negative).

Anonymous said...

Wonderful poem, very touching. I've shared this gem with some friends already.

Truly wonderful.

cruisin-mom said...

Booklover: Hi, welcome...I'm really glad you liked the story, thanks for stopping by!